The Myanmar Extensive Reading Programme (MERP) is designed to provide Myanmar learners of English with a simple and enjoyable way to increase their fluency in English.
It does this by:
- providing exposure to English outside the classroom for learners who do not read or hear English in their everyday lives
- enabling students of English to learn by themselves in situations where their teachers lack proficiency and experience
- establishing a habit of reading for pleasure in English
- offering a viable alternative to rote learning
- promoting critical thinking