MERP is being implemented in various institutions on a voluntary basis:
- Undergraduates at Universities in Yangon and Mandalay
- Teacher trainees
- Students at monastic educational centres
MERP is implementing the programme by:
- Distributing for free all the books and teaching aids required
- Conducting induction courses for teaching staff
- Providing advice and expertise in extensive reading
- Sponsoring selected Myanmar teaching stuff for training in Edinburgh
All books, tests, reading and teaching aids are provided by the Mingalar Trust which also meets all the expenses of the implementation.
Together with the support of volunteers and donors, The Mingalar Trust has started the programme with the printing of 76’000 books.
MERP is a very cost-effective way of improving English in Myanmar. Even as small amount of money makes a big difference.